Implement Commission Junction with Shopify via GTM
Without a single line of code and done in minutes, Elevar helps you implement your Commission Junction tracking pixel and conversion event to Shopify through Google Tag Manager using the most up-to-date requirements from each platform.
Plus – these templates come with built-in monitoring so you’re the first to know when a tag breaks and risks impacting your campaigns.
This integration supports the complete tracking implementation required by Commission Junction affiliate tracking.
About Commission Junction
Commission Junction is one of the largest affiliate marketing platforms for brands and retailers. Learn more about Commission Junction affiliate marketing here
- Available for Elevar Error Monitoring: Yes
- Require Google Tag Manager Data Layer: Yes
- Is Google Tag Manager Template Customizable: Yes
- Commission Junction Chrome Extension: None Exists
- Implementation Skill Level: Intermediate
Events Included in Template
- Sitewide Tag
- Purchase Conversion
User Properties Included in Template
- CJ Click ID
If you have an Elevar account already, go to your Pre-Built Tags and download the Commission Junction container shown here:
Download Commission Junction GTM Tag Recipe for Shopify
Your free Elevar account will give you access to Commission Junction and 30+ pre-built marketing tags to quickly import into your GTM account.
Steps To Implement Commission Junction Tags with Shopify
Follow these steps to get your pixel tracking in no time:
- Ensure you have a data layer implemented on your store that pushes Shopify data (like product SKU, revenue) into the data layer *
- Download the container and import into your GTM account
- There are three variables that need to be updated to match your CJ account details. They start with NEEDS UPDATING in your variables. Update values to match your Commission Junction IDs which is show in more details below.
- Put GTM into preview mode
- This testing is a bit more technical so you should also reach out to your CJ account manager. In order to test you just need to grab a test link from your CJ account and copy into your browser. Then place a test order and with GTM in preview mode you can view the details passed in the conversion tag. You’ll want to verify all of the data is there especially the CJEVENT variable (show in screenshot below).
- Once verified then publish
These 3 variables are the constants that CJ provides in their onboarding documentation:
- Container Tag ID
You will need to update these variables in your account from our dummy account #s.
*If you don’t have one yet, install the GTM Suite from app store which implements complete data layer in 1 click.
- If you have different domains or subdomains for your website then you will need to be sure the CJEVENT Id is not lost in the process.
- If you have multiple checkouts – like ReCharge, or Bold – in addition to Shopify then the dataLayer will need to be configured on those stores as well.