Implement Klaviyo Tracking with Shopify via GTM
Without a single line of code and done in minutes, Elevar helps you implement all of your Klaviyo standard eCommerce events to Shopify through Google Tag Manager using the most up-to-date requirements from each platform.
Plus – these templates come with built-in monitoring so you’re the first to know when a tag breaks and risks impacting your campaigns.
This integration supports all of the remarketing and audience options available with your Klaviyo email marketing tag.
Klaviyo is an marketing solution known for their robust email capabilities. Klaviyo stores all of your customer data, then allows you to build experiences across email and owned channels and measure the results in revenue — not just opens or clicks. Learn more about Klaviyo here.
- Available for Elevar Error Monitoring: Yes
- Require Google Tag Manager Data Layer: Yes
- Is Google Tag Manager Template Customizable: Yes
- Klaviyo Chrome Extension: Not Available
- Implementation Skill Level: Beginner
Events Included in Template
- Base Tag
- Email Signup Custom Event (for Google Analytics tracking)
- Product View
- Add to Cart
Note: You do not need to implement a purchase conversion since this is automatically built into the Klaviyo app that you need to install on your Shopify store.
You can also expand the type of event and user property data sent to Klaviyo following this guide.
User Properties Included in Template
If you have an Elevar account already, go to your Pre-Built Tags and download the Klaviyo container shown here:
Download Klaviyo GTM Tag Recipe for Shopify
Your free Elevar account will give you access to Klaviyo and 30+ pre-built marketing tags to quickly import into your GTM account.
Steps To Implement Klaviyo with Shopify
Follow these steps to get your tag tracking in no time:
- Ensure you have a data layer implemented on your store that pushes Shopify data (like product SKU, revenue) into the data layer*
- Download the container and import into your GTM account
- Go to the variable named 00 – UPDATE AFTER IMPORT – Klaviyo ID and update this value to match your Klaviyo tag ID
- Put GTM into preview mode
- Go through each event you’ve implemented from the table above and verify the tag fires as expected using your Activity Feed inside your Klaviyo dashboard
- Once verified then publish
*If you don’t have one yet, install the GTM Suite from app store which implements complete data layer in 1 click.
- If you have the base Klaviyo tag installed directly in your theme then you can pause the one inside this container
- Double check that your product view and add to cart events contain the right product IDs to match your catalog inside of Klaviyo. The container uses product ID by default.