Implement Pinterest Tag with Shopify via GTM
Without a single line of code and done in minutes, Elevar helps you implement all of your Pinterest tags to Shopify through Google Tag Manager using the most up-to-date requirements from each platform.
Plus – these templates come with built-in monitoring so you’re the first to know when a tag breaks and risks impacting your campaigns.
This integration supports all of the remarketing and audience options available with your Pinterest Advertising.
About Pinterest Tag
Pinterest ads are great for getting your products and content in front of more people as they search, browse and discover on Pinterest. And the way to measure your performance and enable remarketing campaigns is by implementing pageview and event tracking. Learn more about Pinterest Ads here.
- Available for Elevar Error Monitoring: Yes
- Require Google Tag Manager Data Layer: Yes
- Is Google Tag Manager Template Customizable: Yes
- Pinterest Chrome Extension: Download and install here
- Implementation Skill Level: Beginner
Events Included in Template
- Base Tag
- Page Visit
- Product View
- Add to Cart
- View Category Page
- Watched Video
User Properties Included in Template
- Email (for enhanced matching)
If you have an Elevar account already, go to your Pre-Built Tags and download the Pinterest container shown here:
Download Pinterest GTM Tag Recipe for Shopify
Your free Elevar account will give you access to Pinterest and 30+ pre-built marketing tags to quickly import into your GTM account.
Steps To Implement Pinterest Tag with Shopify
Follow these steps to get your pixel tracking in no time:
- Ensure you have a data layer implemented on your store that pushes Shopify data (like product SKU, revenue) into the data layer*
- Download the container and import into your GTM account
- Go to the variable named 00 UPDATE AFTER IMPORT – Pinterest ID and update this value to match your Pinterest pixel ID
- Put GTM into preview mode
- Go through each event you’ve implemented from the table above and verify the tag fires as expected using the Pinterest Tag Helper Chrome Extension
- Once verified then publish
*If you don’t have data layer yet, install the GTM Suite from app store which implements complete data layer in 1 click.
- You might receive an error in the Chrome Extension that you are missing an enhanced email match. Unless your user is logged in or on the checkout thank you page then you will not have this data to pass.
- If you are running dynamic product remarketing then ensure you have the same primary product ID in your catalog that matches the product ID assigned in the PageVisit tag.