Implement Rakuten Tag with Shopify via GTM
Without a single line of code and done in minutes, Elevar helps you implement your Rakuten Conversion Tracking Tag for Shopify stores through Google Tag Manager using the most up-to-date requirements from each platform.
Plus – these templates come with built-in monitoring so you’re the first to know when a tag breaks and risks impacting your campaigns.
This integration supports the standard conversion tracking available with your Rakuten Advertising account.
Rakuten is a global cash-back shopping experience for consumers to shop, spend, and earn rewards. Brands can list products for shoppers to explore and purchase. Learn more about Rakuten Ads here.
- Available for Elevar Error Monitoring: Yes
- Require Google Tag Manager Data Layer: Yes
- Is Google Tag Manager Template Customizable: Yes
- Rakuten Chrome Extension: None exist for testing tag implementation
- Implementation Skill Level: Intermediate
Events Included in Template
- Sitewide tag (empty – Rakuten will provide your unique tracking script during onboarding)
- Purchase conversion tracking with all required parameters
User Properties Included in Template
- Customer ID
Download Container (coming soon!)
If you have an Elevar account already, go to your Pre-Built Tags and download the Snapchat container shown here:
Download Rakuten GTM Tag Recipe for Shopify
Your free Elevar account will give you access to Rakuten and 30+ pre-built marketing tags to quickly import into your GTM account.
Steps To Implement Rakuten Conversion Tracking with Shopify
Follow these steps to get your tag tracking in no time:
- Ensure you have a data layer implemented on your store that pushes Shopify data (like product SKU, revenue) into the data layer *
- Download the container and import into your GTM account
- Go to the variable named 00 UPDATE AFTER IMPORT – Rakuten Merchant ID and update this value to match your Rakuten tag ID
- Put GTM into preview mode
- Place a test order and verify your Rakuten conversion tag fires on the thank you page. You can view your purchase data within the tag inside of GTM preview mode
- Once verified then publish
*If you don’t have one yet, install the GTM Suite from app store which implements complete data layer in 1 click.
- If you have multiple checkouts – like ReCharge, Bold – be sure the dataLayer is implemented on all checkouts so purchases are attributed.
- Ensure the catalog uploaded to Rakuten is using the same product ID set on the purchase. The tags in this container use SKU by default but can be modified to use Product ID, Variant ID.